Sunday, March 23, 2014

Raisin Filled Cookies

Lillie asked me about raisin cookies I used to make.  I can't find the exact recipe I used but I think this is close enough.

Raisin Pie Filling*
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup pineapple juice, or 1/4 cup more water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

  • In a small saucepan, combine raisins, water, pineapple juice, and vanilla.  
  • Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.  
  • Pour mixture through strainer.  
  • Set raisins aside, reserving liquid.

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1/4  cup lemon juice

  • Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt; add hot raisin liquid, beating with wire whip.
  • Continue cooking and stirring until thick, about 5 minutes.
  • Add raisins and lemon juice
At this point the filling is ready to fill cookies.

*I remember adding the follow
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/8 t cloves
1/8 t nutmeg
1 T orange peel grated
substitute rum extract for vanilla

No comments: